Friday, August 9, 2013

It Shall Be Well With You

I am continuing to learn what it means to fear the Lord and how that affects how we live - even after 34 years of walking with the Lord! I have been blessed to know its benefits - a happy life filled with God's forgiveness as I confess sin and, therefore, it going well with me - yet, there is still so much to learn! Here are some verses from my reading today that confirm this: 'Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways! You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.' (Psalm 128:1, 2 ESV) 'If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.' (Psalm 130:3, 4 ESV)

I am reading a book called 'When People Are Big and God is Small' by Ed Welch and it is about the fear of the Lord. He states that 'the key to learning the fear of the Lord is to stay in scripture.' Another key ingredient that he emphasizes is to ask God to teach us the fear of the Lord. Our natural tendency is to fear man and not God. This is also heavily emphasized in our Western cultures of the cult of self. It truly is a spiritual battle to battle the fear of God over the fear of man. Believe me, I know, and am continually in that war with the Enemy; but it is worth it to fight and God gives us the weapons to fight with.  'For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.' (2 Corinthians 10:3, 4 ESV).
Put on His armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) and join with me in the fight! The benefits are SO WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment